Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Blockage over

Writer's block is history.  I wrote Chapter 21 today, reaching 35,000 words.  The book is probably halfway done as far as story goes, and then there is the editing.... oh, the editing...

It's 3:07am.  I'm going to bed, where I will lay for an hour thinking about Chapter 22.  Then I will doze off for 8 hours, rise to another day, and likely put Chapter 22 down on electronic paper. 

Writing is a bit like I remember running as being.  Yes, I used to run.  A lot.  No more.  But writing is like that.  The more you do it, the more you want to do it.  But if you stop, getting started again can be a pain in the rear.

It's too bad about the editing thing.  If I could actually write a chapter on the first pass that didn't have passive voice, POV shifts, grammatical errors, and the occasional blurb of nonsense, I'd be able to churn out six books a year I think. 

It's not the story telling that is hard.  This book has been completed to some degree in my head for a while now.  It's the getting it on paper in a way that makes sense, a way that is compelling... that's is what's hard. 

My future as a writer depends on me doing what is hard.

Maybe, like running, that will get easier with time as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your critiques or constructive comments.